Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Participant

How is the book coming along?

Participant

KEEP CHUGGING!

Participant

Still chugging along, but won’t reach that May 27 deadline. Still writing every day however.

Participant

Thank you Maureen and Brendan for the feedback. Today will be Day 45, as I’ve written for at least 1 Pomodoro (25 minutes) per day since April 1. My goal is to not break that streak until I hand it off.

I’m happy to see what others are doing as well. It is inspiring!

Cheers,
    Robert

Participant

Hi Maureen and thanks for your response – yes I do recall the discussions earlier in the course about the who and the what issues. Thanks for spelling some ideas for me in detail. My overall response comment I think still stands as the language and drive of the 6th session on marketing to me hammered away in a different focus…
    By the way keep some cash handy to re enter the market.. a slump is not the time for despair but of opportunities..
    I will try and find you on Linked In too meanwhile hope your new book went well or is going well in terms of the writing.
    regards
    Brendan

Participant

Thanks Robert I am glad I helped cement a date for your milestone. You sure chose a date for completing the full hand-off which likely is also opportune for a celebration ! Perhaps a cool drink watching the fireworks ! Keep at it ! regards Brendan

Participant

Robert,

I love your topic. I’m not in the financial industry, but I’m a big fan of investing, and I track the stock market rather obsessively (though not always happily, as I see another 500+ point dip today.)

Keep up the good work!

Maureen

Participant

Brendan,

I’m glad you enjoyed the program. I think your topic of lessons drawn from the Bible is pretty cool. While it may appear that the content we presented was just for personal or professional development, it’s bigger. The FIRST IMPORTANT QUESTION to ask as you write your book is: “What do I want my readers to do, think or feel after reading this?”

The SECOND IMPORTANT QUESTION is: “What problem am I solving for my readers?” For example, the problem my football book solves is “I’m bored.” or “How can I learn more about my beloved Buckeyes?” or “I want to know the “behind the scenes” stories of football, not just stats and scores.” So, even though it’s entertaining, THAT solves a problem. So will your book. Bible lovers will find it intriguing and interesting. Even if it doesn’t have YOUR story in it.

Hope that helps!

Maureen

Participant

Thank you for your updates Brendan. I’m glad you have revisited both the course and your writing.

I will admit that I haven’t taken the STU course (though I’m a super-duper champion of all things STU) but I do have some discipline as a writer, which is escalated if I have accountability. Since you listed May 27 as your targeted date before going to Scrivener (I have that software on a defunct laptop and can’t access the purchase code), I will make a similar goal to reach the second draft (without footnotes) ready by that same date. My full, hand-off goal is July 4.

My book is about the benefits of Wall Street (much of the culture, including many who work in finance, is anti-Wall Street). I aim to show how financial services has lifted millions of people (like me) from poverty to prosperity. So, there will be stories from my own life, as well as descriptions of how heroes of finance have transformed the world for better.

Happy writing!
    Robert

Participant

Darren Sheryl Maureen – general feedback from me; as I think I put in the chat box once the seminar ran from 3am thru 430 am Melbourne time so I did miss two live sessions from sheer tiredness or conflict with the need for rest owing to commitments to be alert business hours 830 onwards. So you never got any beep from me that last session. The seminar was very instructive and not too overwhelming for me. One comment from the viewpoint of the sort of book I am writing – it is NOT a personal development book as such – I think the marketing slant was overly assuming that the attendees were writing THEIR story to help readers solve their problem – thats closely relevant to a book in the personal development or maybe the marketing section (I think) of the book store. And its clearly the genre your fine presenters were mostly focussed on with their more recent books. My book yes will try to tell stories not exactly MY story but my version of the economic- related stories in the Bible. I may put in a bit about my journey of discovery reading (as an economist) the relevant bits of the Bible but it wont really be centrally about my wrestling ..so the assumed examples of the sorts of problem issues you discussed were stimulating and I think can assist with my casting the marketing as a solving tool but its not essentially about my AHAH s from life experience ! Probably closer as non-fiction to Maureens Ohio football book really

Thanks Cheryl for your freebie and your emailed story telling tips on top of your insights on course.

I would be interested in some mutual group writing as Maureen asked – one key issue for me would be a mutual writing time NOT in west coast morning time ! you are roughly 17 hrs behind me ie 7 hr ahead but you are in yesterday still! 10 am for me is 5pm for you so if you form that group Id be happy to join..but starting no earlier than 4pm Pacific time for you !
    Thanks again darren for your energy over the huge range of communications you are engaged in
    Brendan

Participant

I have completely reviewed all the materials and watched the whole course again – and taking fresh second time notes. Completely revised the overall task plan . Its been a help that we have had this lockdown actually as its given me time to resume my book writing project plus made me realise the finiteness of what we can achieve so “nail the brain” before external events get in the way ! Done the tutorial Scrivener exercises and its a great tool but one that has many depths and its a complete MUST to do the tutorial before any serious use of the software. Still reviewing the book structure and outline – target complete by May 27 after which transfer into scrivener .
    Darren I am amazed that you can estimate the number of pages you will need for your script in advance of writing it !! Hope you have gotten some quiet time down at the lake unless you have been locked in to the city by these police state often mindless restrictions.

Participant

Hi Darren (and Robert) I did the course almost exactly 12 months ago and even in my plan given the committments I had I did not plan on resuming seriously till Sept 2019 so did not post her. Welcome Robert. I will post a few more times in the next few days after which I think my 12 month access to the workshop materials and the forum runs out. By the way if others from a later workshop will use this forum I d be happy to pay a nominal contribution to continue to interact here. I dont need to access the materials any longer but if this is to continue as an accountability and mutual ideas exchange that would be fine. Best Brendan

Participant

It is now! Well done. I appreciate it, if you are still following this thread, please chime in and say hi to Robert!

Participant

Greetings:

I did not take the course but am in the process of writing my first book. (I’m a published author of many essays, but not a book.) Just checking in to see if this thread is still active. I’m fine with posting my weekly progress.

Big fan of all things Stage Time University!

Cheers,
    Robert

Thought about several people i could interview for my forgiveness chapter. I’ll reach out to them this week and set up a time to interveiw them.

I also attended a Beth Moore simulcast. Lots of goodies in that that gave inspiration.

On a recent flight i watched Elton John’s Rocket Man. The ideas for stories flooded me! I watched it again and jotted them all down!

Splitting my time with podcast set up, workshops, social media posts, blogging, booking and writing proposals to speak, developing PR material like flyers and recording short inspirational videos. It’s just a lot!!!

What are you all up to????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.